Sunday, June 24, 2007

Walk on the Wild Side

The picture below is the of the piece I recently completed in my new abstract class. I am truly enjoying the class simply for being able to have fun with paint and experiment with new techniques. I can get crazy and dirty and not worry about how it will look. This one wound up reminding me of a hypercolor t-shirt from the mid-90s, amusingly enough:

I think that if I didn't already have some training on the basic color theory and design, I would probably be pretty lost. There are definitely some people in the class that have no clue about those things, but it really doesn't matter. Everyone is supportive of each other, and because we are all trying totally new things and techniques, who knows if your work will wind up looking great or not, and who really cares?

Truth be told, I was actually happy with this painting. I was pretty disappointed that after only getting to mess around for about a half hour, it was done, but overall I really like the way it turned out. I didn't overwork the piece, and it has solid compositional elements in it. Plus, it was a hell of a fun time basically splashing the canvas with paint. :)

No comments: